Great start to a fabulous dance year everyone!
Please note that there are NO Classes on Monday Oct 31st HALLOWEEN NITE
Remembrance Day – studio open Nov. 11th, 2011
Competition Entry Fees deadline – Nov. 15th , 2011
Ballet Evaluations and Exams (Mandatory for SGSD students ) - Fees deadline Dec. 15th, 2011
Winter (Xmas) break – Studio closed Dec. 23rd , 2011 (Last day of classes before the Xmas break is Thurs. Dec 22nd , 2011) Studio re-opens – Jan 9th , 2012
Teachers Convention – Studio open unless re-scheduled by teacher
Family Day Feb. 20th – Studio open unless re-scheduled by teacher
Watch for Las Vegas entry fees deadline to be posted for early Spring
Spring Break Studio will be closed
Easter Monday – Studio closed April 9th 2012
Victoria Day – studio open unless re-scheduled by teacher
The teachers have requested that parents be reminded to please call into the studio if your child is going to be away from any of their classes and please explain the reason why. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO THE SENIOR STUDENTS TOO. Thank you Please know that If more than 2 classes in a row have been missed, then the teacher will be calling the parents personally to enquire as to why the child has been away!
As we all know it is imperative that attendance be respected so your child can hopefully progress at the same rate as the other students in the class and not miss any valuable lessons being taught.
COMPETITIONS – Confirmation of Dates for the 2011 dance season:
Dance Power #1 – March 13 – 18th Myer Horowitz
Artist Emerge(Hip Hop) – March 16 – 17th Jubilee Auditorium
Represent (Hip Hop) – April 5 – 8th Myer Horowitz
Peak Invitational Edmonton – April 11 – 15th Myer Horowitz
Terpsichore Calgary – May 4th – 7th The Edge
As preparations are under way for another exciting competition season in spring of 2012, please keep up to date on whether or not your child’s class will be entering in competition this year. Please honour our deadline for competition fees and submit to Sandra Rake, SGSD receptionist by due date Nov. 15th and have your forms completed and filled out before hand. We will accept cheques or debit/credit card only Please NO CASH !!!
It is very important to follow these exact instructions when submitting your fees:
- Print off 1 form per dancer that was sent in a previous email and list the groups and solos/duos that your child is registered in correctly and carefully – we will be using these forms and information you provide to complete the necessary administration entry forms, so be accurate in your spelling and information.
All competition registered students at SGSD must attend All competitions for their groups with the exception of the following levels and classes:
- Primary’s 1 & 2 groups on Tuesday with Miss Joanne will not be entering Calgary Terpsichore Dance Celebration however will be doing both Dance Power 1 and Peak Invitational in Edmonton
- The following classes will not be doing competitions this year
- Ballet with Miss Ashley Monday at 5:00pm and at 6:00pm
- Novice Tap / Jazz with Miss Gillian Thursday at 5:00pm
- Hip Hop with Miss Gillian Thursday at 6:00pm
- Ballet with Miss Gillian Thursday at 6:45pm
- Ballet with Miss Abby Thursday at 6:45pm
- Preschool Miss Amber Tuesday at 5:45pm
- Preschool Miss Abby’s Thursday 5:45pm
- Miss Amber 2nd year preschool Tuesday 5:00pm
- All technique only classes
- *For soloists/duos/trios: it is suggested that for those students from the Junior level upwards that you attend All the competitions that the school is attending to keep the paper work easier to manage and less confusing for you when trying to remember which competitions you have entered in. For any Primary and Novice Solo / Duo/Trio students – If you would like to enter the other competitions that the school is going to then please indicate this on your form and we will ask the teacher to attend and rehearse and put you on or they will find a representative for you
- For those dancers that are receiving credits from last year’s 2011 awards you should have received a separate email indicating your child’s personal credit amount. Use this credit for this years competition fees
- For those dancers that are a Edmonton Dance Excel member , than indicate the personal amount you are allotted from the association and subtract the credits from the grand total on your form
- The travel fee for Calgary is $30, is to cover a portion of the travel expenses so that your teacher(s) or their representative(s) will be there at the competition to ensure you are rehearsed and put on stage for your routine
- Print off a separate form and indicate which solos/duo or trio your child(ren) would like to enter, and indicate which competitions. I will research the amount and complete the fee portion with you separately once you have sent in your request.
*Please be aware that you will be on your own as the dance school will not be sending teachers to attend and most importantly you need to be very respectful of the fact that you are representing SGSD and have to show our school policy regarding audience and parent etiquette at all times.
For those wishing to enter other competitions for solos or duos/trios:
*WE WILL UP DATE YOU IN THE SPRING FOR LAS VEGAS FEES AND DEADLINE AND UPDATES ON THIS EVENT WHICH OS BEING HELD AT THE MANDOLAY BAY RESORT JUNE 30TH TO JULY 5TH AND ALL PARENTS/STUDENTS ARE DOING THEIR OWN HOTEL AND TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
Have a Happy And Safe Hallowe’en
Sandra Gray, Staff and Faculty